When you hear, ‘marsala,’ do the notes of Sicilian wine and flavorful food flood your mind? Marsala continues to tantalize our senses as Pantone’s 2015 Color of the Year, with its rich reds and earthy browns joining together to create a beautiful hue to please your eyes. In past years, Pantone has selected such vibrant colors for their color of the year: Radiant Orchard, Emerald, Tangerine Tango, Honeysuckle, and Turquoise. Marsala brings us into 2015 with subdued sophistication, fit for any outfit, beauty routine, or home decoration. Introduce Marsala into your home with warm accent pieces, or create a welcoming room fit for an Italian villa.
Accent Pieces for Added Flair
There are multiple approaches one can take to create the perfect atmosphere using Pantone’s 2015 Color of the Year.
- Start off small with adding Marsala-colored accent pieces to your space.
- Vases and throw pillows allow for a pop of color without being too overwhelming.
- Feeling bolder? Add a Marsala couch to your home.
- Bring the color into the kitchen with plates and bowls that look beautiful with a home-cooked meal.
- Use these pieces alongside natural pieces, such as wooden tables, to bring a sense of nature into your home.
- Bring in gold and vibrant blues to contrast the dusty red and make it pop.
- Want your feet to enjoy Marsala? Oriental Weavers offers a selection of luxurious Pantone rugs to dress up your floors.
A Coat of Paint, a Complete Change
Painting your walls will bring a larger impact to the inside of your home. Use Marsala as an accent wall to warm up a room, or take a leap and paint the whole room the rich, earthy hue. Marsala is perfect for a kitchen or dining room, inspiring the feeling of comforting home cooking. For an earthier feel, matte and textured finishes will bring you back to nature. Or, for a more glamorous vibe, paint a smooth wall Marsala, and top it off with a glossy finish, making your home radiate with elegance.
Matches Made in Heaven
Marsala pairs beautifully with a wide variety of colors. Golden, amber, and green hues bring out earth tones, neutrals can lead to a bold outcome, and vibrant blues help bring out a truly striking impression.
Marsala is a truly versatile hue, allowing both femininity and masculinity, natural and modern, and subdued and bold to all exist in the same plane. Looking for more ideas for incorporating this color into your home? Interested in decorating? You can order color chips directly from Pantone, paint from Lowe’s, and design some of your own deliciously stylish Marsala-hued furniture.