Are you gearing up for a move? Whether you will be heading across town or across the country, packing up and moving is probably not your favorite chore. Save yourself time and frustration with these moving hacks.
Preparing for your move:
- Start by making a schedule of what needs to be done between now and the big day to help you stay on track.
- Get rid of any items that you no longer need or use by throwing them out or donating items to a local charity.
- Set aside a box or suitcase for things that you will need immediately when you arrive at your new home, such as toiletries, clothes, towels, tools to reassemble your furniture, and so on.
- Check out the “free” section on Craigslist for boxes, as well as asking around at local stores.
- Label your boxes to make it easier to find things once you are settled. You can use colored labels or duct tape to help quickly identify in which room each box belongs.
- Utilize soft items, such as clothing and linens, as packing material to protect breakable items like glassware and dishes.
- Keep your packing supplies, such as tape, scissors, and packing material, in a box that you can carry from room to room.
- Save your suitcases with helpful handles and wheels for your heaviest items, like books.
- Cut rectangular holes in the sides of your boxes to create handles for easier lifting.
Plastic wrap and garbage bags:
- Pack clothes on hangers by zip-tying a group of hangers together and then covering the entire group with a garbage bag.
- To keep your jewelry together and tangle-free, wrap individual bracelets and necklaces in plastic wrap.
- Before you move any liquids, such as shampoo or cleaning supplies, remove each lid, cover the top with plastic wrap, and then replace the lid.
- Put your pillows and blankets in sealed garbage bags to protect them. Later on they can be used as padding between furniture and other breakable items in the moving truck.
- Label, diagram, or photograph the wiring of your entertainment center and computers, so that you can easily get everything back together after the move.
- To keep cords from getting lost or tangled, wrap them up and put each inside an empty toilet paper roll.
- Put towels or magazines under heavy furniture to help them slide more easily.
- Leave lighter items in drawers and then wrap the entire dresser or desk in plastic wrap to keep everything together.
- Keep your mattress clean by putting a fitted sheet on either side before loading it in the truck.
Moving is never a pleasant task, but you can make things much easier on yourself by following these simple moving and packing hacks.